Vegan Can Be Affordable


About 10-12 years ago my friend and I tried to give up meat. We called it the "Vegetarian Club" and what happened in the Vegetarian Club stayed in the Vegetarian Club. Which meant that if we really wanted a burger we could have one as long as we didn't tell anyone else. Lol. Well, that lasted for about three weeks and we just could not do it anymore. I remember that time and how it was so difficult to find food that actually tasted good.

Fast forward to today. As a vegan, I am so excited about the options we have nowadays. Options that are so easily accessible to everyone! I don't have to go to a specialty store to find food. I can just go to my local Publix or produce store to find what I need. I don't have to pay an arm and a leg because the product is so rare. Being vegan is so affordable and super easy. I am even surviving when I go out to eat. Now there is still one issue I have with some restaurants, and that is charging extra for vegan products. Stop doing that (Dunkin Donuts with your extra charge for Almond Milk)...

Here are a few affordable vegan options that can help you get animals off your plate and not deplete your cash flow:

1. Most local grocery stores have almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, etc. for sale almost every time you shop. I find 2/$5 all the time at Publix. Sometimes even BOGO! Just don't be picky on which nut milk you choose.

2. Look at the prices on your meat products. Calculate that cost and compare it to buying fruit, veggies, beans, and rice. (Hint: Meat costs more!)

3. When you go to a non-vegan restaurant, don't order a menu item. Have them make you something. I just scan the menu and have them put something together for me. Most of the time they just charge me for side dishes. Don't be afraid to ask!

4. Buy in Bulk. We have a great store called Bulk Nation. I love getting my nuts and dates there! (Get the online coupon before shopping!)

5. Look for coupons! Some products are still new and the manufacturer wants to get their products in your hands. I usually check online to look for deals before I shop.

6. Buy things in season. If avocados are not in season, skip them for now (I know this hurts my heart too!) lol

7. Don't forget the power of a good 'ole protein shake. Make a shake at home instead of eating out. You would be surprised what you save and how full you are by making a shake a meal.

8. Don't get too creative. Having a meal of beans and rice is perfectly okay and never underestimate the power of a bowl of cereal! :)

**I'd give more but I can't think of them right now. Add to this list to help people out. Let's not reinvent the wheel. **

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But What Can I Dunk My Oreo In?!

Being Vegan In A Meat-Eater's World

Don't Be Crazy!