But What Can I Dunk My Oreo In?!

When I became Vegan I actually became Vegetarian. I didn't quit every animal product right away. I decided I would take out meat first and replace it with substitutes. I tried several brands before resting on Gardein as my favorite. Although I try to limit the use of substitutes now, I do enjoy most of their products and they are still my "go to" when I want something "meat-like". Sounds weird that a Vegan would want something that resembles meat right? Well, I was raised on meat and ate animal products my whole life until 2015. So, yes, I do still sometimes crave a burger or chicken. 
As I learned more about the factory farming of animals and the way they were treated, I decided to take out all animal products when at home. This way I was able to control the ingredients in my food and not have to ask a million questions to the server at a restaurant. I was still very hesitant to "cause problems" while I was ordering from a restaurant. I felt as though asking questions was bothersome to the servers and to my friends who chose to dine with me. It was very easy to find a dish without meat as opposed to finding a dish with no animal products at all. Although, I was able to carry this on for a few months, it did bother me. I know this sounds strange but I started thinking more and more about where my food was coming from. I was not just eating ice cream. I was eating ice cream that was made from cow's milk. This meant that there was a cow that was imprisoned in a small cage, forcibly impregnated, connected to hoses that caused sores and infections to her udders, and her newborn baby stripped from her all so I could enjoy my favorite chocolate peanut butter ice cream. This and my friends' encouragement got me over the uncomfortableness of asking questions. I realized it was just me not being used to having to ask questions. Now, I kind of look at it as an allergy to animal products so I won't find myself compromising.
This is the harsh reality of consuming cow's milk. I know what you are going to say, "That's not true for all cows. Some farmers take care of their animals." That is true. I do agree with you but if you are buying your milk from a grocery store and not a local farmer (or a reputable, known farm) then it is likely to be from a factory.
Let's get to the Oreos already...Do you know that Oreos are vegan? I know, right?! Yes, I love me some Oreos but what do I dunk them in if I don't  drink cow's milk anymore? Well, I am glad you asked! There are MANY alternatives to cow's milk and they are healthier for you. Here is a list of some alternatives to cow's milk. You can even buy them at your local grocery store and well, just about anywhere you choose to shop. (You can also make your own with a blender and some patience.)

1. Almond Milk
2. Cashew Milk
3. Coconut Milk
4. Soy Milk
5. Rice Milk
6. Hemp Milk

So there is your answer! Now, go on an adventure of trying out new milks to dunk your Oreos in! Let me know which you like best. My personal favorites are Cashew, Almond, and Coconut (in that order).

Daily Devo: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Comments

  1. Now if I can only get the Oreos away from you to try this ;-P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being Vegan In A Meat-Eater's World

Don't Be Crazy!